When you search for cheapest domain names you will no doubt be completely covered with ads from companies advertising great promotional deals. There are a lot good places to register a domain name; however most charge a service fee in addition to a required registration fee they pass on. There is one unique site that does not charge a markup at all: Cloudflare.
The cheapest site to buy a domain name
Cloudflare - The cheapest overall
Go with Cloudflare.com. Every domain name registrar has different pricing, but Cloudflare is the cheapest overall. They don't charge any margin on the domain names they register, so you'll always get the best everyday price. Plus, their platform is very powerful and easy to use. I recommend Cloudflare for all of my domain names.
- Low everyday no-markup prices (.com's are $9.15 as of this writing),
- Domain security features are not upsold, they are standard,
- Powerful DNS tools and configurations,
- Industry-leading server, bot, and spam protection available absolutely free,
- Extremely developer friendly
- No promotional rates
- Limited selection of vanity domains
- Not the most simple option, but if you're on here you'll manage there just fine.
If you want to save a few bucks and are really good at remembering to cancel and shop for the best subscriptions every year, look into GoDaddy.
GoDaddy - Best domain-only promotions
GoDaddy has the best first-year value at only $4.99 for a first-year registration. Here are a few tips for making sure you don't overpay for your domain:
- You'll need to opt-out of the domain security upsells (Standard with Cloudflare)
- Change the default 2-year registration to 1 year to get the $4.99 deal (Renews at nearly $20 a year after the first year)
- Heavy upsells marketing at checkout and after you become a customer
- Set a calendar reminder 10 months out to cancel or transfer your domain if you still need it. (You can even transfer to Cloudflare too!)
If you manage that, you'll be just fine and won't overpay. That's not to say their support and tools aren't valuable; they very much are! But you can certainly find better deals on other platforms.
- Great promotional rates for first-year registration
- Domain security features are not standard,
- Many vanity domain options,
- Great suite of business-friendly products that work really well together,
- A familiar player in the domain space
- Technical support always available
- Lots of marketing and upsells are built in. Be vigilant when you are browsing GoDaddy products.
- If you're not cautious, you may pay more than double than what you could pay elsewhere.
GoDaddy has a great suite of products, tech support, and is fairly simple to use. Since they have been around
How domain name providers work
If you've ever wondered how domain registrars work, you're not alone. The process can be confusing, but we're here to help clear things up. Domain registrars are responsible for managing the reservation of internet domain names. They are accredited by ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), which is the organization that oversees the internet's naming system.
Domain registrars work with individuals, businesses, and organizations to register a domain name. This reservation gives the registrant the exclusive right to use that domain name for a specific period of time. registrars are also responsible for renewing domain names on behalf of their clients.
The process of registering a domain name can be confusing, but it doesn't have to be. If you're looking to register a domain name, we recommend working with a reputable registrar. They can help walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
How does Cloudflare make money on domains?
Since Cloudflare make their money as you scale can leverage their website protection services and aren't a major player in the domain game and offer it as a service to make using their other suite of services easier. But that doesn't mean that they'll start charging you - In fact, Cloudflare offers a suite of domain and network security tools completely free for small websites and businesses. The free plan handles most small and medium businesses well enough. However, If you grow significantly, you may need additional network services that they are well suited to provide at very reasonable costs that scale with your business.
Not only that, if you ever find your website under attack from hackers, Cloudflare is a juggernaut in the website and network security space. The best part? Their base protection plan is FREE and provides a lot of security to your domain and website without any additional upselling.
What are some common pitfalls to avoid when registering a domain name?
Here are a few common pitfalls you should avoid when registering domain names:
Not doing your research first: Before you spend any money on domain name registration, make sure to do your research first. There are a lot of scammers out there who will try to take advantage of you by selling domain names that are already registered or which they think you'll be interested in. Don't fall for it!
Using the wrong tool: When registering a domain name, make sure to use the right tool. For example, if you're looking to register a .com domain name, try using GoDaddy instead of Cloudflare. This way, you'll be able to find domain names that are new and unused, which can save you money in the long run.
Domain names are one of the most important investments you can make for your business. Not only do they help you identify your target market, but they also provide a professional and professional-looking web presence. However, domain names can be expensive, so it's important to know how to find cheap domain names. Make sure to check out our website for more helpful tips on domain name investing!